Building A 21st Century Mosquito
As we recently announced (in February 2018), analysis of a wealth of original de Havilland technical data has enabled the project to take the momentous decision to rebuild our Mosquito FB.VI in the UK.
Discussions are currently ongoing with potential restoration partners in the UK and we hope to bring further news shortly.
The current plan remains to source the aircraft’s main airframe components – fuselage, wings and tail plane – via acknowledged New Zealand based suppliers. However, we are now in position to complete assembly here in the UK, whilst being able to provide our supporters with the chance to see it, smell it and even touch the aircraft as she takes shape.
As this project relies heavily on donations, both small and large, the timescales to bring RL249 need to be updated regularly. For the latest updates on fundraising, be sure to sign up for our newsletter – The Buzz (available via the TPM homepage).
- Purchase identity of aircraft (RL249) – Completed
- Obtained ‘Registered Charity’ status by UK Charities Commission and Board of Trustee’s in place
- Construction of the wing ribs completed & purchased
- CAA registration G-FBVI approved & acquired
- CAA appointed liaison officer /engineer updated quarterly and on-going
- New Zealand Project Management appointed – Aerowood (NZ) Ltd.
- TPM Club launched for membership to exclusive content, events and discounts
- Analysis of 20,200 of 22,300 original de Havilland drawings now complete.
- Appointment of UK-based restoration partner to deliver the aircraft build.
- Launch of ‘Fuselage Fund’ – break down circa £600K cost into phases. The fuselage to be supplied by Mosquito Restorations (NZ) Ltd.
- Announcement of a donation of historical aviation importance and one that supports engineering & fundraising
- Phase One – ‘Fuselage Deposit’ fundraising launched and deposit secured to begin work
- Phase Two – ‘Fuselage Stage One’ completion of bonding both moulds into one fuselage section
- Phase Three – ‘Fuselage Stage Two’ application of linen doped skin & protective primer
- Obtain corporate sponsorship
- Launch Free Prize Draw Appeal
- Launch of ‘Wing Appeal’ into 2 phases
- Phase One – ‘Wing Deposit’ launched and monies secured to begin work on spar sections
- Phase Two – ‘Wing Completion’ plus application of linen doped skin & protective primer
- Launch of Engines & Propulsion Systems Fund – this section of fundraising will also detail out how we will hold an ‘RFI/RFP’ process and it is our intention, if pricing is competitive for the public monies raised, to place this work with UK suppliers
- Flying Control Systems, Hydraulics, Radiators Appeal – as with the engine engine & props we will issue an RFI/RFP for these key sections
- Launch of ‘Fit Out Fund’ – to complete installation of flying control systems/hydraulics/coolant/fuel tanks/engines
- Complete UK test flying to CAA Permit to Fly status under registration of G-FBVI
- Appoint UK supplier for care & maintenance of RL249
- Private members day to thank all our supporters
- Announce first public appearance of the aircraft
Forecasted Budgeted Costs 2016/17
|Description||Year 1||Year 2||Year 3||Year 4||Year 5||Total|
|Project Fundraising Per Annum||1,375,000||1,375,000||1,375,000||1,375,000||1,375,000||6,875,000|
|Total Funds Per Annum||1,500,000.00||1,500,000.00||1,500,000.00||1,500,000.00||1,500,000.00||7,500,000.00|
|Income Tax / VAT / Just Giving Fees Assumption||25,000.00||25,000.00||25,000.00||25,000.00||25,000.00||125,000.00|
|Airframe & Identity Purchase||5,000.00||–||–||–||–||5,000.00|
|Fuselage, Wings & Tailplane Build Cost*||220,000.00||220,000.00||220,000.00||220,000.00||220,000.00||1,100,000.00|
|Engines & Propeller Overhaul / Re-build Cost*||–||125,000.00||125,000.00||125,000.00||125,000.00||500,000.00|
|Flying Control Systems / Hydraulics / Coolant / Fuel Tanks/Fit Out Labour/ Engine Installation*||–||–||350,000.00||350,000.00||350,000.00||1,050,000.00|
|Parts Bin & Spares Budget||50,000.00||50,000.00||50,000.00||50,000.00||50,000.00||250,000.00|
|Shipping & Test Flying / Insurance / Fuel||10,000.00||15,000.00||15,000.00||50,000.00||250,000.00||340,000.00|
|CAA C of A + E4/M4 Organisation||50,000.00||50,000.00||50,000.00||50,000.00||75,000.00||275,000.00|
|Contingency Inflation Budget||220,000.00||230,000.00||240,000.00||250,000.00||260,000.00||1,200,000.00|
|PO Box / Reg Office Fees / Co Reg Fees||1,000.00||1,000.00||1,000.00||1,000.00||1,000.00||5,000.00|
|Uniform / HSE Equipment||1,000.00||2,000.00||2,000.00||2,500.00||3,000.00||10,500.00|
|Fundraising Support & Consultation||100,000.00||100,000.00||100,000.00||100,000.00||100,000.00||500,000.00|
|Accountancy & Audit||7,500.00||7,500.00||7,500.00||7,500.00||7,500.00||37,500.00|
|Marketing Supplies / Consumables / Advertising||370,000.00||370,000.00||370,000.00||370,000.00||370,000.00||1,850,000.00|
|Funds to Balance Sheet||427000||285000||-75500||-126500||-393000||117000|